Tuesday, October 1, 2013

4th Quarter: Almost there

I played basketball when I was younger. I hated losing. So much so that at any point during the game if my team was down, I got angry and had an attitude. I became extremely upset if my team was down by more than 6 at the start of the 4th quarter. In my mind, we had already lost the game. Instead of channeling the annoyance of being down by 7+ into motivation to play harder, I just allowed it to mess up my game. I started throwing lob passes, fowling, missing free throws, etc during the 4th quarter when I allowed my anger over things that happened earlier in the game to get the best of me. 

This infuriated my coach. Being that I played point guard, it was my job to somewhat coach the team from the court. Coming down the court on offense, I essentially controlled the tempo of the game; I called the plays, and got the ball to the teammate in the best position to score. If my head was not in the game, it was difficult for the team to stay focused and to do what they needed so that we could win the game. My coach often had to remind me at the beginning of the 4th quarter to let the past go and focus on the quarter that I was in making whatever improvements I needed to play my best. "Dee, stop allowing things that happened 1st, 2nd, and 3rd quarter distract you from what you need to do this quarter. I know you are tired. I know we are down but the game is not over. If you aren't willing to suck it up and let that go you don't DESERVE to win. Get your head in the game and don't let your opponents know you're tired." 

Today, I woke up a little out of it. I was tired, and complaining, about everything lol. Then I started to think about all of the things I need to work on. I started thinking about the areas of my life where I messed up this year, I started thinking about the multiple inconsistent moments in my walk with God, I started thinking about the money I should've saved during the year, the accidents that could've been prevented, the hospital visits that I brought on myself by not paying attention, etc. Just as I was beginning to journal about all I hadn't done, I read on someone's instagram that we are in the 4th quarter of the year. Today is October 1st. We have made it 3/4 of the way.

The realization of being in the 4th Quarter brought me to the bench talk during time out at the start of the 4th Quarter in basketball. Only difference is God was pushing me this time and not my coach. God wants for us to let go of the mistakes we made January-September. We can't focus on the missed rebounds, the turnovers, the fouls, the missed free throws, etc. That will only keep us from faithfully giving our all on the court and doing what it takes to win the game. No matter what position we played on a sports team, we are all point guards to the game of life. The coach, God, teaches the plays during practices (bible studies), Corrects and encourages us during half-time and time outs (Church services, bible studies, fellowship w/ believers, Pinky Promise, etc). However, ultimately while on the field, we call the plays and throw the ball to the person on the court most likely to score a basket (faith, prayer, devotion, praise&worship, etc they are all teammates placed on the court to help us win). The trick however is that we don't know what the other team (life, test, trials, the enemy, etc) will throw at us. Really none of that matters though. All we can do is give our all, forget the mistakes of the past and play hard to win. It's October, all we have left is November and December. We have to make this last Quarter count.

Who cares that you didn't pray and fast like you were suppose to January-September, study your word like you should have, etc. You can't change that now. You can't change the fact that you lost your job, that you got sick, etc. As harsh as it sounds, its time to suck it up and play hard. In the words of my coach, "If you can't suck it up, you don't DESERVE to win." God knows we are tired, but He wouldn't have put us in the game if He didn't believe we could make it to the end.

The opponent/trial/tribulation may appear stronger than you but "The race (game) is not given to the swift nor the battle to the strong"- Ecc. 9:11

Also know that you are not in this alone. There are people on the sideline cheering you on. There are also people on the side that don't believe you can make it to the end and you have to prove them wrong. Show them that God is bigger than any opponent and prepared you to win. "Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a could of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us."-Heb. 12:1


GOD BLESS


** Extra Encouragement 
He, who began a good work in you, will be faithful to complete it even unto the day of Christ Jesus.
Philippians 1:6

“Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain”. I Cor. 15:58

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE it honey! YEASSS! Let God work through you and be a blessing to myself and others. I needed this and need to keep this in mind as I close out my own 4th quarter! We're still in the game! Love you and God bless you too.

    ReplyDelete